by Victor L. Whitechurch
Mystery/Detective / Short story
R: * * *
- A boy is kidnapped from the corridor of a moving train.
- More is needed, than just the usual detective, to solve this disappearance.
- What is wanted, is a talented intelligent criminologist with knowledge of the British railway system.
- Such a man is found and his theory tested.
by George MacDonald
(1896) Fantasy (Dark / Dream) / Romance / Adventure(Quest) / Sci-fi (Parallel world)
r: * * * * *
- A man inherits a house and within it a very unique library. This library has an opening to what might be a parallel world.
- The man enters that world through a special portal. Or perhaps he has only entered a dream state.
- This other world, is comprised of various lands and peopled by unique inhabitants and supernatural beings. There are monsters, little people and keepers of the dead.
- The man sets out on a quest through this land. His most dangerous adversary is Lilith: the female demon of many cultures and literature.
- There is also good in this land. It is manifest in many ways. And love is not absent. Indeed, the man falls in love.
- The adventure is either a dream, a visit to an alternate world, a vision of the future, or a puzzling riddle of death.
by Stephen Leacock
(1914) Humor (Satirical)
R: * * * * *
- The rich gather at The Mausoleum Club, to comment, plan and scheme.
- All things are under consideration, especially their wealth (how to keep and expand it).
by James Benjamin Blish
(1954) Sci-fi (Other world culture) / Short story (Magazine)
From 'If Worlds of Science Fiction' July 1954.
R: * * * *
- This attic is not the scarey top floor of a dark old house and the things, abiding there are not supernatural..
- On this far away planet, the attic is the tree tops, where a species of animals live.
- The surface has it's flora and dangerous fauna and is known as hell.
- One can be cast into hell, if they don't believe in The Book of Laws and the legend of the Giants.
- Five tree top dwellers are sent below for just such a heresy.
- Survival is life threatening, but the revelations may be worth it.