by John Alexander Hammerton
Humor (Rustic) / Satire
R: * * *
- This is not so much of a story of Mr. Punch's life in the country.
- The country life is just a stage for a series of short skits and one-liners about country life.
- It appears to be much in the tradition of the Punch Magazine.
by H.P. Lovecraft
(1933) Fantasy (Gods vs Man) / Short story
R: * * *
- The Gods of old have receded away from the encroachment of man, higher and higher into their mountain abodes..
- Man pursues them, ostensibly to praise and honor them.
- Is there no respite from these supposed lesser beings.
- Has man become, The Other Gods?
by Richard Jefferies
(1885) Sci-fi (Future) / Adventure (Quest)
R: * * *
- This could be a story of Medieval times, but it is not.
- The Earth has undergone change, great change, in this future, but at the same time backward view of England.
- The how is not important, but both the land and man has reverted to an older state of existence.
- The land is wild and so are it\'s inhabitants. This could indeed be a page from a Medieval script, with its ancient way of Kings, serfdom and feudal government.
- This is the story of one man who sets out to try and make a life for himself, so he may marry the woman he loves.
- He has progressive ideas that are opposed to the thinking of the time. .
- It is the type of man, who can step forward in this, mans second chance: After London.
by Jerome K. Jerome
(1892) Ghost (Specter revenge) / Short story (Magazine article)
From Sept. 1892 issue of 'The Idler'
R: * * * *
- Two men have an intense hate for each other. This leads to a chase, in which only one will return.
- The chase ends with the death of one man, but not by the hand of the other.
- That means the vendetta is still active.
- The survivor becomes a respected scientist..
- The intensity of hate may be something that cannot be classified or avoided, even by one who is known as The Man of Science.
Jerome handles the darker side of life in this story.
It is a departure from the humorous, satirical comedies like
'Three Men In A Boat'.