Written for publication as a serial, The Pickwick Papers is a sequence of loosely-related adventures. Its main literary value and appeal is formed by its numerous memorable characters. Each character in The Pickwick Papers, as in many other Dickens novels, is drawn comically, often with exaggerated personalities. --Wikipedia
ffecting Interview between Mr. Samuel Weller and a Family Party. Mr. Pickwick makes a Tour of the diminutive World he inhabits, and resolves to mix with it, in Future, as little as possible
46. Records a touching Act of delicate Feeling not unmixed with Pleasantry, achieved and performed by Messrs. Dodson and Fogg
47. Is chiefly devoted to Matters of Business, and the temporal Advantage of Dodson and Fogg-- Mr. Winkle reappears under extraordinary Circumstances--Mr. Pickwick's Benevolence proves stronger than his Obstinacy
48. Relates how Mr. Pickwick, with the Assistance of Samuel Weller, essayed to soften the Heart of Mr. Benjamin Allen, and to mollify the Wrath of Mr. Robert Sawyer
49. Containing the Story of the Bagman's Uncle
50. How Mr. Pickwick sped upon his Mission, and how he was reinforced in the Outset by a most unexpected Auxiliary
51. In which Mr. Pickwick encounters an old Acquaintance--To which fortunate Circumstance the Reader is mainly indebted for Ma
Pickwick is a classic and Dickens first book. It's a book you can read many times without ever tiring of its humor and inventiveness. As the Pickwickians travel around the English countryside by carriage in the year 1827 (before railways ruined everything) you get a vivid picture of English life through characters you will never forget. There is nothing like it in all English literature. You don't want to die without having read Pickwick.
I first read book about 65 years ago and must have read it again and again at least half a dozsn times over the years. For me the 4 members of the Pickwick club, Sam and Tony Weller, , Alfred Jingle, the Potts, Hunters Wardle are not fictitious characters but living persons in constant communion with me and giving me joy in life.
I love this book! Must have read it four or five times by now.
Who Murdered Mr. Malone? Book 1 of the Garden G... Read more
After finding the body of a dragon in a metalli... Read more
*This is a stand-alone book in the Fearsome Ser... Read more
Fans of the Hunger Games and Sci-Fi Thrillers will... Read more
While rumors of monsters rising in the south bring... Read more
See it as donating a moment of your social media time, every little thing helps us improve and stay online.
The list of books below is based on the weekly downloads by our users regardless of eReader device or file format.
See more popular titles from this genre.