Translated by Sir Thomas Urquhart of Cromarty and Peter Antony Motteux. The text of the first Two Books of Rabelais has been reprinted from the first edition (1653) of Urquhart's translation. Footnotes initialled 'M.' are drawn from the Maitland Club edition (1838); other footnotes are by the translator. Urquhart's translation of Book III. appeared posthumously in 1693, with a new edition of Books I. and II., under Motteux's editorship. Motteux's rendering of Books IV. and V. followed in 1708. Occasionally (as the footnotes indicate) passages omitted by Motteux have been restored from the 1738 copy edited by Ozell.
* Chapter 3.XLIII.--How Pantagruel excuseth Bridlegoose in the matter of sentencing actions at law by the chance of the dice
* Chapter 3.XLIV.--How Pantagruel relateth a strange history of the perplexity of human judgment
* Chapter 3.XLV.--How Panurge taketh advice of Triboulet
* Chapter 3.XLVI.--How Pantagruel and Panurge diversely interpret the words of Triboulet
* Chapter 3.XLVII.--How Pantagruel and Panurge resolved to make a visit to the Oracle of the Holy Bottle
* Chapter 3.XLVIII.--How Gargantua showeth that the children ought not to marry without the special knowledge and advice of their fathers and mothers
* Chapter 3.XLIX.--How Pantagruel did put himself in a readiness to go to sea; and of the herb named Pantagruelion
* Chapter 3.L.--How the famous Pantagruelion ought to be prepared and wrought
* Chapter 3.LI.--Why it is called Pantagruelion, and of the admirable virtues thereof
* Chapter 3.LII.--How a certain kind of Pan
When everyone reads minds, a secret is a danger... Read more
Is The Iron Eagle a psychotic serial killer?
In the fall of 1984, Cold War tensions between... Read more
Author Al Macy is a character and a tightwad wi... Read more
See it as donating a moment of your social media time, every little thing helps us improve and stay online.
The list of books below is based on the weekly downloads by our users regardless of eReader device or file format.
See more popular titles from this genre.