Report on the Department of Ports and Harbours for the Year 1890-1891
Since October last the staff at this port, which previously consisted of a pilot and three hands, has been considerably reduced--the coxswain only (who is also a boatman pilot) being retained. The trade to the port is merely one small steamer, making about four trips a year.
So far but little improvement in the Pioneer River appears to have resulted from the construction of the stone training walls. Raising the wall from Fisherman's Bank down stream to its present termination will have a beneficial effect, and remove the possibility of small vessels--when not under command--resting upon it at high water. Its additional height will also prevent the sand (as in February last, when the sea made a breach through East Point) from being carried over into the main channel and leaving a deposit of some 18 inches on the top of the wall. The upper stone wall commen