In the following pages I have endeavoured to give a brief description of Hertfordshire on the lines of Mr. F. G. Brabant’s book in this series. The general features of the county are briefly described in the Introduction, in sections approximately corresponding to the sections of the volume on Sussex. I have thought it wise, however, to compress the Introduction within the briefest limits, in order that, in the Gazetteer, I might have space for more adequate treatment than would otherwise have been possible.
em>, or Mimram, rises in the parish of King's Walden, skirts Whitwell on the N., running parallel with the village street, and passing through Welwyn and near Tewin enters the Lea at Hertingfordbury.
11. The Purwell, or Pirall, rises in the parish of Ippollits and passing W. of Great Wymondley runs to Purwell Mill, and joins the Hiz at Grove Mill.
12. The Quin rises in the neighbourhood of Wyddial, and passing Quinbury, unites with the Rib at Braughing.
13. The Rhee, rising a little E. of Ashwell, has but a few miles to flow before it enters Cambridgeshire.
14. The Rib rises at Corney Bury, flows E. of Buntingford, thence turning W. it flows under the bridge at the Adam and Eve, runs to Westmill, Standon and Thundridge, finally uniting with the Lea at Hertford.
15. The Stort enters Hertfordshire from Essex at a point near Cannon Wood Mill, and after passing through Bishop's Stortford forms the extreme E.
Fans of paranormal and urban fantasy will enjoy... Read more
VOLUME ONE in the WOOD COW CHRONICLES series. <... Read more
2013 SFR GALAXY AWARD WINNER
"Heroism and... Read more
Set in the late Georgian era, Elizabeth Bailey’... Read more
There are six secret clans across the world–Afr... Read more
"Tim Hurtletuta has forgotten something. He can... Read more
12th century England: Two men vie for the thron... Read more
Dr. Gabe Allen has a rule about dating colleagues... Read more
See it as donating a moment of your social media time, every little thing helps us improve and stay online.
The list of books below is based on the weekly downloads by our users regardless of eReader device or file format.
See more popular titles from this genre.