This is a work of historical interest only and much of the scientific content has been superseded. There are numerous experiments described in this book which are hazardous and should not be attempted. Advice given on handling toxic substances, electrical apparatus etc. should not be followed.Do not try this at home!
of compressed air in which we live: Air pressure 10
4. Sinking and floating: Displacement 23
5. How things are kept from toppling over: Stability 29
2. MOLECULAR ATTRACTION 36
6. How liquids are absorbed: Capillary attraction 36
7. How things stick to one another: Adhesion 41
8. The force that makes a thing hold together: Cohesion 44
9. Friction 49
3. CONSERVATION OF ENERGY 57
10. Levers 57
11. Inertia 66
12. Centrifugal force 72
13. Action and reaction 77
14. Elasticity 82
4. HEAT 88
15. Heat makes things expand 88
16. Cooling from expansion 94
17. Freezing and melting 96
18. Evaporation 100
19. Boiling and condensing 107
20. Conduction of heat and convection 116
5. RADIANT HEAT AND LIGHT 122
21. How heat gets here from the sun; why things glow when they become very hot 122
22. Reflection 129
23. The bending of light: Refraction 136
Is The Iron Eagle a psychotic serial killer?
When everyone reads minds, a secret is a danger... Read more
In the fall of 1984, Cold War tensions between... Read more
Author Al Macy is a character and a tightwad wi... Read more
The list of books below is based on the weekly downloads by our users regardless of eReader device or file format.
See more popular titles from this genre.